Sunday, February 27, 2011

DUMPSTER BOOKAGE

A book is the only place in which you can examine a fragile thought without breaking it, or explore an explosive idea without fear it will go off in your face.  It is one of the few havens remaining where a man's mind can get both provocation and privacy.  ~Edward P. Morgan

My apartment complex unfortunately does not have recycling, and I usually make a trip to the park with Nugget and have a running and recycling doggy date.  Theres nothing like human to animal bonding in the outdoors.  A few weeks ago during the snow days my favorite park was closed.  I drove over to a fellow divers apartment complex to drop off some recycling and as I opened the lid of a recycle bin, I was pleasantly surprised.  BOOKS! tons of books.  If you know me at all, you know I adore books.  A bit too much at times.  I am currently hoarding all my favorite childhood books in my room, reading in at least 8 separate books currently, have piles of books all around my bedroom, and I even save books from my classes to reread.  I love to read. 



The book selection in this particular recycling receptacle was pretty impressive I must say.  The Encyclopedic Dictionary of Yoga.  Charlie Wilson's War. Walking Softly in the Wilderness(The Sierra Club Guide To Backpacking) Active Meditation.  Simple Abundance, a Daybook of Comfort and Joy. Gods Little Devotional Book For Couples. The Complete Walker III. Cutting Through Spiritual Materialism.  The Essence of Self Realization(The Wisdom of Paramhansa Yogananda).  Catch Me If You Can. A Guide to Healing through the human energy field. Diana.  Life Surrendered to God. Midnight in the Garden of Good & Evil. Movin On(Equipment and Techniques for Winter Hikers).  Movin Out(Equipment and Techniques for Hikers).  Jack & Jackie (Portait of an American Marriage).  Jackson Pollock.  and lots of other Interior Design Books and randoms.  What a great snag.  Hiking, Yoga, Spiritualism, and other fun reads all in one find.  Dear person who recycled your books, Thanks!!  Ive added 20more free books2 my bookcase/reading list, and the ones I wasnt interested made their way to Julias Coffee at Habitat Restore.


Let books be your dining table,
And you shall be full of delights
Let them be your mattress
And you shall sleep restful nights.
~Author Unknown

I know every book of mine by its smell, and I have but to put my nose between the pages to be reminded of all sorts of things.  ~George Robert Gissing

A book is like a garden carried in the pocket.  ~Chinese Proverb




The worth of a book is to be measured by what you can carry away from it.  ~James Bryce


Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book.  ~Author Unknown


A good book should leave you... slightly exhausted at the end.  You live several lives while reading it.  ~William Styron, interview, Writers at Work, 1958


Many people, other than the authors, contribute to the making of a book, from the first person who had the bright idea of alphabetic writing through the inventor of movable type to the lumberjacks who felled the trees that were pulped for its printing.  It is not customary to acknowledge the trees themselves, though their commitment is total.  ~Forsyth and Rada, Machine Learning

 
I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves.  ~Anna Quindlen, "Enough Bookshelves," New York Times, 7 August 1991

Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.  ~Charles W. Eliot



Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend.  Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.  ~Groucho Marx


I find television to be very educating.  Every time somebody turns on the set, I go in the other room and read a book.  ~Groucho Marx


The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them.  ~Mark Twain, attributed

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment